Friday, May 21, 2010

BORDERS

It is really hard to fathom why the White House and democratic Congress would come to their feet when the Mexican president criticized the AZ immigration law. Why would they do that? Some say political points. But, 70% of Americans like the law. They say it's not good government. But, it's already the law of the land. Should we not enforce the laws on the books? Is not enforcing the law of the land one of supreme charges of our Commander in Chief and our lawmakers?

Truly, I don't get it. Help me understand. In my previous post I mentioned how I'm reading Isaiah from the Old Testament right now. One verse that stuck out to me, with this border controversy in the forefront was:
(It's the King of Assyria talking), "By the strength of my hand I have done this, and by my wisdom, because I have understanding, I removed the boundries of nations. I plundered their treasures; like a mighty one I subdued their kings." Isaiah 10:13
That may or may not have anything to do with the current situation in AZ, but it reminded me of it. I find it concerning when the people in power, who have promised to enforce the law of the land prevent laws from being enforced. And, to side enthusiastically and unanimously with the Mexican president when he is being critical, in a hypocrital way, given their immigration enforcement policies, against a state in our union's law that mirrors a federal law already on the books, is it seems to me, un-American, by definition and simply wrong, according to their sacred (promised under oath) duty to uphold the law. (I think that's the longest sentence I've ever written!) Judging the constitutionality of this law lies with the Supreme Court, not the other 2 branches of government. But, that would require respecting the Constitution of the United States, as written, as the supreme law of the land.

Please, God, bring our country back to where it started. Bring us back to a respect for the Constitution and its separation of powers and protection of the rights of the electorate that are explicitly outlined in it, that has held our country together for 234 years. Don't let us forget that Your Guidance was leaned upon during this country's founding. May we return to it. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this article today that further mystifies the logic of this administration regarding the AZ law: http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/chutzpah-obama-requires-mi-high-school-seniors-have-papers-to-shake-his-hand/

    ReplyDelete